Obtaining a Family Visa in Kuwait

Obtaining a Family Visa (Article 22) in Kuwait is a two phased activity. First phase in Kuwait and the second phase in India.

A minimum of KWD 250 is required as the salary. The visa can be applied for direct relatives such as parents, spouse, and children. The Visa is valid for 90 days before entry, otherwise automatically canceled.

Paper works In Kuwait

1. Prepare the Family Affidavit (not the relationship affidavit) and get it attested at the Indian Embassy. Ensure that you enter the Wife’s name and the children’s name in the affidavit. The cost of the affidavit is 6.600 KWD

2. The Visa application to be prepared and submitted to the VISA office(Application has to be submitted at your local immigration dept. 7 am – 12 pm) along with the following documents

3. Civil ID Copy, Passport Copies of the applicants, work permit (green/shoon paper), Affidavit prepared, Marriage Certificate, Birth Certificate (if children are there). Keep both originals and additional copies of the same with you. Keep the house rent contract copy and original as well.

(Spouse’s name need not be in applicant’s passport for visa, though it is better to have it.)

A stamp worth 3 KD need to be bought and given to the officer for affixing it on the visa.

Once you have the VISA, you have to send this to India

In India

Prepare the following items before you go to the Kuwait Embassy / Travel Agent.

1. Police Clearance Certificate

2. Required copies of the Visa (to keep with you)

3. Then you have to perform the medical with a Kuwait Embassy empaneled Clinic. If you are processing the Visa for a child then you will need to produce the vaccination chart (which includes the history of vaccinations given including the polio vaccine)

4. Once the above three actions are done, you can go to the Kuwait Embassy for VISA Stamping.

After reaching Kuwait

1. Do the medical (blood test, x-ray) and make medical insurance. No fingerprints for dependent visa

2. Prepare the medical insurance. Insurance fees for one year – KD 30 for children and 40 for wife. Ensure that you take the paper (the receipt) along with the health card.

3. Prepare the application from the typing center for making the residency. Submit the application along with the paper you received from the insurance office. 1st year fee for residency is KD 100 and the subsequent years will be charged KD 10 per year. You will need to keep minimum 2 (4 on safe side) passport size photos with blue background

4. Residency should be completed within 60 days of arriving in Kuwait or fine of KD 2 per day

Renewing Residency

1. Renewal can be done 3 months to 1 day before expiry at your local immigration dept (7-12) or at Liberation Tower (4-6 pm)

2. For renewal of children’s residency for 2 years, wife must also have 2 years residency. If not, renewal is only 1 year.

Canceling the residence

1. To cancel dependent visa, the sponsor must submit original passport and civil ID

2. If the person is out of the country for more than 6 months, the visa is automatically canceled

Civil ID

Once an expatriate has obtained his residence then he must obtain a civil identity (ID) card (bitaqa-almadiniyah or bitaqa for short), no matter what type of residence he is on. Civil ID cards are issued by PACI, the Public Authority for Civil Information. After his first card has been issued, the holder’s civil ID number remains the same even if he changes his sponsor or leaves and comes back several years later on a different residence visa.

The civil ID card shows the holder’s civil number, full name, date of birth (which is also included in the algorithm for the ID number), local address, blood group, sponsor’s name, type of visa, etc, and date of expiry of the card. When ever the card expires or an expatriate changes sponsor, renews his residence or changes his address, his civil ID card must be amended accordingly.

Whether applying for the first time or replacing a civil ID card, four photographs, showing the face without spectacles, are always required for those over 11 years of age. Photographs are not needed for elderly Kuwaiti females.

Civil ID Registration Procedures

To register for a civil ID for the first time, the documents required are:

  • passport
  • copy of passport pages showing personal details and residence stamp
  • security clearance (fingerprint) form (those over 16 years)
  • original birth certificate (if born in Kuwait)
  • blood group certificate (those over 5 years)
  • proof of house address (e.g., rental agreement and rent receipts)
  • declaration signed by sponsor

For a first time domestic servant’s civil ID all the above documents, except the first, are needed. For the first civil ID of a baby born in Kuwait, just a copy of the baby’s birth certificate, and a copy of the sponsor’s passport (showing personal details, residence stamp and the addition of the baby) or the baby’s own passport (showing personal details and residence stamp), are required.

To have an amended card issued following a change of address, the current card plus proof of the new address (e.g., rental agreement) must be submitted. To replace a lost card, a photocopy of the lost card and the expatriate’s passport is required.

First time applicants for a domestic servant’s civil ID, and applicants for the first civil ID of a baby born in Kuwait, can buy the application form and special envelopes from “Express-Envelope” machines located in Coop supermarkets (250fils), follow the instructions and submit their applications in these special machines.

The Public Authority for Civil Information (PACI) is located at South Surra, Ministries Complex off the Sixth Ring Road, opposite the building of the Ministry of Water and Electricity (MEW).

Charges, Time Limits & Penalties
The charge for a civil ID card is KD2 when it is first issued and each time it is renewed. The charge is paid when the card is collected. There is a fee of KD10 to replace a lost card.

An expatriate must apply for a civil ID card within 30 days of getting his residency, and must renew his card within 30 days of renewing his residency. For an expatriate child born in Kuwait, the time limit for first registration is 60 days from the date of birth. In all cases the penalty for late applications is a flat fine of KD100 irrespective of the length of the delay, though in practice PACI only levy a one-off fine of KD20.

Collection of Civil ID Card
It takes about 10 days for a first time civil ID card to be processed. Expatriates can ascertain the status of cards under process through PACI’s computerized telephone answering system by calling 889988 (1for replies in Arabic and 2 for replies in English) and keying in their civil ID number (for renewals) or the serial number on the outside of the envelope in which the application was submitted.

The civil ID card can only be picked up in person at the PACI offices in South Surra from an electronic dispensing machine. The actual machine to be used is ascertained by dialling the above telephone numbers. Two dinars plus the old civil ID card (if held) must be fed into the machine to obtain the new card.

PACI Introduces ‘Smart System’ for renewal of ID-Cards
The Public Authority for Civil Information (PACI)introduced the electronic renewal system for ID-cards in June 2004 which eliminates all the paper work. All you have to do is call 889988 and enter your civil ID number and your card will be renewed automatically within 24 hours.

This service is available between 14:00 and 22:00 hours. The service does not cover: change of address, change of photos, lost or damaged IDs and the first time registration.

A person on dependent visa (Article 22) is not entitled to employment. Article 22 cannot be transferred to work visa (Article 18). However, exception are allowed provided the dependent is well qualified or completed one year. Article 18 to 22 is transferable


  1. Wat if I have a son in Philippines but not married & I want to bring my son here is it possible?

  2. farhan malang says:

    i am on tourist visa and my dad wants to remove family visa what is the process,and iam 18 years. will i get family visa because now no one is in india all r in kuwait so plss help

  3. Syed Taqi Hussain Abedi says:

    As salamo alaikum,

    I am an accountant in a private firm in Kuwait and my salary is 450KD, I wish to marry a Pakistani woman, after marriage can I call my wife on my sponsorship from Pakistan?

    Please reply.


  4. This is heights

Speak Your Mind